This is one of Peggy's favorite bread recipes. We all look forward to it at the holidays!
2 c warm milk
3/4 c sugar
1 tsp salt
1 large tbsp yeast
1/4 c butter + 1/4 c shortening, melted
2 heaping tsps fresh ground cardamom
~7-7 1/2 cups bread flour
1 egg mixed with 1 tbsp water
Swedish pearl sugar
1. Mix all ingredients until a fine smooth dough forms.
2. Let rise until doubled in volume, about 2 hours.
3. Punch down and let rise again.
4. Punch down. Divide dough in half, and each half into thirds. Make two loaf braids and fit into greased bread loaf pans.
5. Let rise to the tops of the pans.
6. Heat oven to 360°F.
7. Cool in pans for 5 minutes, then turn out and cool fully on a cooling rack.
- Makes two big loaves (10x5x3 pan - 1.5 lb) or three normal loaves (8.5x4.5x2.75 pan - 1 lb)
- Yes, that does read 360°. I have had trouble in the past with the bread being a little underdone in the middle, especially the large loaves. It's hard to overcook this bread, so err on the side of more time rather than less - if the tops are browning too quickly, you can cover them with foil.
- Each slice contains approximately 7.5g sugar.