Minnesota Wild Rice Soup
adapted from Peggy Seidel's recipe! Goes *very* well with dinner rolls!
8-8 1/2 cups chicken broth or stock
3/4 cup wild rice, rinsed
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 stalks celery, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
4 strips bacon, chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp flour
salt and pepper to taste
1. Saute the bacon in a Dutch oven or large pot over low heat until a lot of the fat renders.
2. Increase heat to medium; add wild rice and vegetables. Saute until the veggies are crisp-tender and the onions are partially translucent.
3. Add the chicken stock. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, roughly 40 minutes.
4. Mix flour into cream; add to soup. Stir to combine, and return to a simmer to thicken soup slightly.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper; serve garnished with parsley.
- To help speed up cooking, pre-chop the veggies and ingredients the day before.