Mini soft pretzels
Another Smitten Kitchen hit!
2 c warm water (100 to 110°F)
1 tbsp + 2 tbsp sugar
1 packet yeast
5-6 c all purpose flour
1 tbsp salt
2 tsp canola oil
1/4 c baking soda
1 large egg
coarse or pretzel salt
1. Pour the warm water into the bowl of a stand mixer. Add 1 tablespoon sugar. Sprinkle the yeast over the water and let sit 10 minutes. Yeast should become foamy.
2. Add 1 cup flour and mix on low with the dough hook until combined. Add 4 cups flour and salt and knead until combined. Beat on medium low until the dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl, about 1.5 minutes. Add another 1/2 cup and knead on low for 1 more minutes. If the dough is super sticky, add another 1/2 cup. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead by hand roughly ten times until the dough is smooth.
3. Oil a large bowl. Add the dough ball, and flip to coat the top with oil. Let rise for 1 hour, or until dough has doubled in size.
4. Heat over to 450°F.
5. Punch down dough. Transfer to a lightly floured board; knead once or twice. Divide into 16 pieces (for large pretzels) or 32 pieces (for miniature pretzels). Wrap each piece in plastic wrap to keep it moist.
6. Roll each piece of dough into an 18" inch roll and shape into a pretzel. Lay on silpat-covered baking sheet and let rise an additional 15 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, fill a large shallow pot with 2" of water and bring to a boil. Add baking soda (step back, it foams!) and remaning 2 tablespoons of sugar. Reduce to a simmer. Using a slotted spoon, transfer pretzels to the water; poach 1 minute per side. Remove back to the baking sheet.
8. Beat the egg with 1 tablespoon water. Brush over the pretzels and then sprinkle with salt. Bake until golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes.
Store pretzels in an unsealed container for a day or two; if sealed, they will get soggy.