Courtesy of Martha Stewart. This a denser type of cake, more like a torte, and shows off the flavor of the berries quite nicely!
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pie plate
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plus two tablespoons sugar, divided
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Butter a pie plate.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. Put butter and 1 cup of the sugar together in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat together on medium-high speed until pale white and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low and add egg, milk and vanilla. The batter will break, but don't worry!
4. Reduce speed to low and gradually add in the flour. The batter will come back together. Transfer to the buttered pie plate and spread to edges. Arrange strawberries on top of the batter, cut side down, and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar.
5. Bake the cake for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 325° and continue to bake until the cake is golden brown and firm to the touch, about an hour. Cool in the pie plate on a wire rack. Cut and serve.
Goes well with Strawberry Sauce!